Thursday, July 29, 2010

Training in Self-Righteousness

Today we were at a play area at the mall. A little boy brought three trucks to play with. Sweet Pea went over and picked up one of the trucks that he had set on the ground. He got very angry with her and grabbed it away – his little face was so contorted and ugly. I explained to her that she needed to ask before she played with other kids’ toys. Later, I talked with her about how that little boy hadn’t learned to share and how I was proud of her for sharing her ball and toys with a little friend who had been over to visit last night. As I was driving home, I realized that I was training Sweet Pea to be self-righteous. She and I are no better than the selfish boy from the play area. We all three need Jesus to give us new hearts that aren’t selfish. Even if Sweet Pea learns the outward behavior of sharing, what I really want her to learn is to have an unselfish heart… the good news is that Jesus can give us unselfish hearts. We desperately need Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment